Friday, April 1, 2011

Lasagna! (and some news...)


First, the news: I'm pregnant! The hubs and I found out the day after the Superbowl and since then, I've barely cooked a single bite. I truly couldn't stomach anything. However, the nausea and food aversions are finally beginning to subside and I'm getting hungry again! A while back, I was having a major craving for lasagna, and that's definitely one of the hubs' favorite things that I make. So I stopped at the grocery store to pick up the ingredients (and recipe) for my favorite lasagna. So, without further ado:


Lasagna (from the San Giorgio box)

Ingredients

1lb ground beef **I did not add beef, because we prefer meatless
3 cups (about 26 oz jar) spaghetti sauce
1 cup (8 oz can) tomato sauce (optional) **I did use this
1 3/4 cups (15 oz) ricotta cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
12 pieces San Giorgio No Boil Lasagna noodles
4 cups (16 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese



Preparation:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, basil and oregano.

3. If adding small can of tomato sauce, stir together with jarred sauce.

Assembly
1. In a 13x9 inch baking dish, spread 1/4 of the sauce mixture.
2. Place 3 pieces uncooked pasta crosswise over sauce. Pieces should not overlap or touch side of pan since they will expand when baked.
3. Spread about 1/3 of the ricotta mixture evenly over pasta. Spread 1/4 of the sauce mixture evenly over ricotta covering pasta completely; sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. **I usually just eyeball the "measurements".
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 two more times. Top with remaining 3 pasta pieces. Spread remaining sauce completely over pasta; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
5. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes; remove foil. Bake 10-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional sauce, if desired. 10-12 servings.

The final product (which was amazing!):






No comments:

Post a Comment